Wednesday, July 16, 2014

10 Things to Make Instead of Buy





As Mr. T and I stumble through my new life as a housewife and his summer of getting paid once a month, we have to get even thriftier than we were before. After doing some extensive research I have found that homemade cleaners are cheaper and healthier for you! Here is a list of 10 things you should start making instead of buying. Go on, try it out! You know your inner thrifter is begging you to.


1. All-purpose cleaner
This solution is great for everything! And luckily it doubles as a way to get your kitchen smelling fresh!            
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 liter (4 cups) of hot water
 2 Tablespoons baking soda
1/2 a lemon   
Mix the first three ingredients together. Squeeze in the lemon juice and mix well. After the solution cools, you can transfer the cleaner into a spray bottle and you are ready to use!

2. Tub and Tile Cleaner
This is another great cleaner!
Mix together the following: 3/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 Tablespoons salt, 3 Tablespoons dishwashing liquid, 1/2 cup vinegar, 10 drops essential oil (optional) Pour into a spray bottle or a container with a lid! (To use; spray and rinse with water)

3. Stain Remover
For those pesky dirt and grass stains..
Mix 1 part blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to 2 parts Hydrogen peroxide and pour directly on the stain. (Also just using hydrogen peroxide works pretty well)

4. Dusting Spray
Although I love using lemon pledge, this is a great homemade alternative! The vinegar cuts through grease and disinfects and the olive oil shines and protects wood. 
Mix 1 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tsp olive oil, and 10-15 drops of essential oil (lemon is my fave!) in a spray bottle. Be sure to shake the bottle before each use and buff with a dry cloth (or old tshirt)

5. Drain Cleaner
This could not be easier. I mean seriously!! 
Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain. Follow it by pouring 1/2 cup vinegar down the drain. Immediately cover the drain (using a plate for example.) Let the mix sit for about 30 minutes - do not use the drain during this time. After your 30 minutes are up let hot water run down the drain for 2-3 minutes. May repeat if necessary. 

6. Laundry Detergent
Can I say wow? Before I got married if you had told me I could make my own laundry detergent for dirt cheap I would have laughed at you. But seriously! This one I leave to the pro though, read her wonderful post about it here!

7. Window Cleaner
For every day cleaner here is a simple solution:
Equal parts vinegar and water
Mix together and put in a spray bottle. Then, as always, wipe the window with a dry cloth! :)

8. Febreeze
I try to not use febreeze a lot, because I feel like I should clean instead of try to mask the odor. But there are times that the garbage can smells gross, my grandmothers quilt smells like feet, or I have guests coming in ten minutes. When those times happen this is what I use:
1/2 cups of water, 1 Tablespoon of baking soda (or vinegar), and 1-2 Tablespoons of fabric softener. Shake together in a spray bottle and voila!

9. Swiffer Wet Jet Solution
The fact that Swiffer tries to convince you that you must buy new refills of everything they offer makes me somewhat irate. That being said, I do love my Swiffer Wet Jet! Use it allll the time! Now, how to save money....
Mix 4 cups of hot water, 1 cup of lemon juice, and 3 cups of vinegar in a pitcher. Stir in 1/4 cup liquid dish soap. Make sure it's good and mixed then pour it into your old swiffer container. Now, those lids look like they can't be taken off but they are just being deceptive. Here is an instructable on how you open the darn thing.

10. Swiffer Pads
This is one - I must admit - that is still on my to-do list. (for shame!) I'm simply waiting to use all the pads I have. However, if you have just a smidge of knowledge in the sewing department these handmade Swiffer pads from the Crafty Little Bee are a great project!



No comments:

Post a Comment